Using the sources linked below and other credible sources you identify, answer the following questions in your notebook for Wednesday’s class. You will need a basic understanding of the appeals and the rhetorical triangle to complete the in class activity:
- What are the 3 appeals? Write an example argument statement using each appeal.
- Sketch Aristotle’s rhetorical triangle. Label the triangle with the appeals and speaker, text, audience.
- In what order should the three appeals ideally be placed in an argument? Why.
- Overview of the 3 appeals & the rhetorical triangle (Indiana University Writing Center)
- 3 Minute Video from Texas A & M Writing Center (Youtube)
- Examples of the 3 appeals
- Using Rhetorical Strategies for Persuasion (Online Writing Lab @ Purdue)
Please copy the questions into your class notebook, then answer each fully–the work will be counted for a participation grade on Wednesday August 27th.